Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Coffee Bean Interview

My last job was as a Software Engineer. It's been 1 year 3 months of unemployment. One of my little dreams as of late is being a barista. A major major career shift from IT to Food and Beverage Industry. I'm choosing between Starbucks and The Coffee Bean Tea Leaf only. I saw a job posting in jobsdb by The Bean so I tried my luck and sent a non-jobsdb member application with my resume. I sent it last August 9, and I received a text from Ms. Vanessa on August 20 that I am qualified for an interview. They conduct interviews in their Libis Warehouse. Their address is Unit 4, 108 E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave., Brgy. Bagumbayan Libis Quezon City. How to get there?


  • Ride a Cubao-Rosario Jeep from Araneta Center Cubao in front of Mercury Drug Gen. Romulo Ave. corner Aurora Blvd.

  • Get off when you reach Jollibee Greenmeadows-Libis Branch beside Outback Steak Restaurant.

  • Walk across the street from Jollibee to get to Dampa side. Be careful.
  • Beside Dampa is a big warehouse with an open gate. By now you'll notice The Coffee Bean Logo.

  • The warehouse is shared by Coffee Bean and other companies, so be sure to get to the right door.

  • The Coffee Bean is far from the gate so walk further inside the compound to find the door with the Coffee Bean Logo.

When you get inside, it's like a different world in there. Outside it feels like an average warehouse but the interior is cozy like their coffee shops. Beside the entrance is a room with glass doors. It's the waiting room for applicants. Before going in the waiting room, proceed to receptionist and fill up an application form. Be sure to return the application form with your resume to the receptionist. Sit inside the waiting room and wait for your turn. I don't feel comfortable with the interviewer. She's reciting questions like she's memorized it from a book. Sounds robotic. Never gave ample time to sell yourself. She's like spatting questions after your first sentence. She told me she'll call back on Friday if I'm qualified for the job, and if I never got a call back then I don't get the job. It's robotically funny. I have questions for sure, and it feels like she don't want you asking questions. I asked about their barista salary, it ranges from 10k-12k monthly. Some questions I remember:


  • How do you want me to call you?

  • Where and when did you graduate?

  • Why did you want to work in there?

  • A lot of the applicants are HRM graduates, as an IT graduate, what is your edge?
Friday's past so I don't get the job then. Good luck.

12 comments:

jael zaragosa said...

were you hired? :) coffee bean called me for an interview but im from makati im thinking if its really worth it i mean the job. starbucks hasnt called me yet though,

Poster said...

i wasn't hired. i already felt that after the interview. gut feel.

Jericho said...

Thank You. Your information on how to get there really helps.

gobbledygook said...

I have interview @ coffee bean tomorrow, I apply just for a summer job. Your post gave me some ideas. THanks!

Anonymous said...

This will help with the Starbucks interview once they call you back. http://hubpages.com/hub/Starbucks-Manager-Interview-Process

karlatonic said...

Is it worth to go for the final interview (Sep 1, 2011), because I've been thinking if I should go or not because I'm from Las Pinas and I've never been to Quezon City before or I may say I'm not that too familiar about the location and how am I suppose to go there by mean of commuting?? Please give me your concerns about this one... thank you very much...

Poster said...

@karlatonic

it is worth it if you really want to get the job. go to cubao and follow the instructions above. good luck with the final interview :)

Anonymous said...

I WILL BE HAVING MY INITIAL INTERVIEW TOM... I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THIS WHOLE STUFF...

Anonymous said...

good thing i've read these posts. now i know how to get to their recruitment office, though i am still thinking if i should, or otherwise.

got an invite last friday for initial interview on sept.2. i replied asking for their office number since i want to ask for the job description, work schedule and office directions.

i got no reply.

so i searched the net and was able to call them up.

after the call, i came to wonder if the person who received my call is really from the HR dept. she sounded pissed because i had to ask 3 questions. moreso, because she cant give credible inputs.

as a HR practitioner myself, i deem to have lost interest in pursuing my application with coffee bean. she should have been courteous despite of whatever circumstance she was in. she must make the applicant want to join their team.

but, if ever i change my mind, i do hope that the certain Ms. Vanessa wont conduct the interview.

karlatonic said...

Well I decided no to go for my final interview today and one of the biggest reason is "I don't know how to get there! -Quezon City is not my thing and I'm afraid not to gamble myself to go to a place that I'm not that too familiar with. Though, I really want the job so bad but I think I'm gonna pursue what my career really is.
I just wanna say that I'm very grateful to the HR (Ms Kaye) that interviewed me during my initial interview (CBTL Makati) and having said that, rescheduled me for another final interview today because the first final interview I didn't come. She's been so kind and considerate.:))

mikaaapop said...

How long is the initial interview? I won't attend my classes because of this haha =))

Poster said...

@mikaaapop

the waiting is long if you come in late, better come in early. it's a first come first served basis.