Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Diamonds in the Philippines

5 carat, color L, clarity VVS2
I never thought that selling diamonds was this freaking hard in the Philippines, especially when your ignorant with these precious things. Expect to be lowballed when your selling your diamond in a rush. The Rapaport Diamond Report* is the official price guide of diamonds like Beckett is to NBA Cards. But I don't know how the pawnshops, jewelers and the likes here in the Philippines based their multiplier when it comes to diamond grades. 

For example of you have a 5 carat, color L, clarity VVS2 round brilliant cut diamond, Rapaport has a high asking price of $15000 per carat for this grade, in pesos it is Php645,000 with a multiplier of Php43.00 per US dollar. Here in the Philippines they have a Php200,000 to Php380,000 per carat for this grade. I wish I know how they come up with this multipliers. It is pretty obvious that they want to haggled down the price for reselling purposes, well business is business. You're better off selling it to foreign end users as they are not into the busines but for personal use.

I can't find an official Gemology Institute of America Lab here in the Philippines, the nearest is in Bangkok. Maybe if we have the money it'll be worth the trip. A trusted jewelry appraiser in Metro Manila is Ocampo's Jewelry, they have a branch in Ali Mall and Glorietta 5, they have certified GIA graduates.    

Selling gold today is definitely easier than selling precious gems.

*Rapaport Diamond Report is available for a price in at diamonds.net

17 comments:

Unknown said...

True. I've been to one shop this morning and was shocked of the appraised price for my diamond ring and necklace having shown them the certificates. So frustrating :(

Unknown said...

True. I've been to one shop this morning and was shocked of the appraised price for my diamond ring and necklace having shown them the certificates. So frustrating :(

Unknown said...

Please try to find GIA @ Abrezza Mall Davao City.

Unknown said...

Please try to find GIA @ Abrezza Mall Davao City.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Meron po ako raw diamonds. Will its a crystal clear like gems, may alam po ba kayu kung saan ko pwedi eto mapa test para sa grade niya.

kurtz said...

Yung calcite or quartz po ba nasa magkano po ang appraisal kc galing pang saudi arabia to nakuha ng father sa oil drilling.1981 pa ito nkatago at now lang nmin naisipan ipatingin.kya nyang humiwa ng bote n hindi man lang napupurol o nadudurog.

Unknown said...


Good day sir/maam, we are curious about a gems we found in a box,
That has a date 1897, and we found gold coins and this gemstone..

can you give us info where we appraise this gemstone
Email me: kheltboy@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Mayron Po Ba talaga Sa Davao? GIA?

Unknown said...

Mayron Po Ba talaga Sa Davao? GIA?

Unknown said...

Mayron Po Ba talaga Sa Davao? GIA?

Anonymous said...

Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards, best place to sell diamond jewelry

Unknown said...

maam pwd sa shop po ba ng diamond nag aadvice ba cla sa buyer nila n a g diamond is law value pgdting sa pawnshop??

Unknown said...

kc online seller po ako ng mga gold mh buyer ako gst0 ako ireklamo n nlmn nia n ang bnili nia diamond pendant with white gold chain is 2700 lng sagad pero bili niA 39k .5carat po un diamond...ngaun nlmn nia 3months nia n ngamit ska sya mgpapa refund skin...mali po ba ako??o d lng nia tlga alm n ang diamonds is precioua stone n d msanla ng gnn halaga sa orig price n bili nia.. kindly email me po sunshine_samonte@yahoo.com i need some advice po at tnatakot po nia ako...thank u

Unknown said...

May gemologist ba sa mindanao? near davao?

Unknown said...

Yah same here. My hubby bought it gor me around 70k then when i trying to pawn it its only 6k.

Ram Wagh said...

I like this information Thanks for sharing this. I would like to these articles and I have confusion but I read your news and I easy understood
Diamond inscriptions